Liptovský Mikuláš was called the “Jewish Athens.” Around 1805, the rapidly growing community was forced to expand the synagogue. The ledger book documents the donations received and payments made to builders and craftsmen. Unusual here is the colorful, detailed floor plan of the interior of the synagogue, with the seats for men and women labeled accordingly.
Pinkas (Ledger Book), 1805–1850, Liptovský Mikuláš, today Slovakia, paper.
Braginsky Collection 261